Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tragedy

A complete miscarriage of justice occurred today: Mr. Crackdealer lost his appeal. The unfortunate thing is I think this guy might have had a chance if he hadn't obviously made up his testimony while on the stand. Hell if he could have just made up a more believable story he might have had a chance. I've lost all the petitions for review (guess I should have chosen a different name), and my appeal. The only thing remaining is my termination of parental rights with the mother of the year who left mid trial for a trip to Vegas. So essentially all of last year I did nothing that actually helped anyone and yet I still loved it.

It's weird being the 2L intern in the office this year. I liked having another intern above me to sound questions off of before going to a real attorney. Helped make me look smart when I talked to the attorneys. Now the other intern asks me questions and expects me to know things just because I'm a 2L and have done some of this shit before. Way too much pressure. The other intern goes to a school with a mandatory 2.6-2.7 curve. I also realized that with my current GPA (despite all my bitching about it sucky) actually qualifies me to graduate cum laude. If I don't slack off as much as last semester again (didn't even start my papers until finals week) I think I'll be able to maintain.

I have a case and I really want to write a motion on to get it dismissed because the cop didn't have probable cause to pull my client over. It's a good motion and other attorneys I've spoken with say it has a 70-80% chance of succeeding. The client's record is so bad and she's been in custody for so long that she just doesn't care and wants to take the plea, get credit for time served and go on with her life. I can't fault her decision, but I really wanted to argue her motion. Damn my ethical duty to put the clients interests first. She was so happy when I went to talk with her in the jail and told her she's only facing 35 days in jail and more convictions. I never thought in my life that I would make someone happy by letting them know they will get 35 days in jail.

I got an email asking me how much to sell text links on the site for ink cartridges. It's spam, but I replied anyway. If you start seeing text adds for ink cartridges then you will know two things: 1. it wasn't spam and 2. I'm making $500 a day.

Oh and I think they must teach brown shoes and black suits in prosecutor school because I've seen it on two different prosecutors. At least I haven't seen a fake pocket square so far.

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.