Monday, September 3, 2007

Marriage for same-sex couples

Marriage was opened for same-sex couples in Iowa for all of a couple hours last week.* One couple managed to get married during that short time period. From the Des Moines Register:


The office hummed with excited gay and lesbian couples. McQuillan and Fritz filled out the paperwork for a marriage license. McQuillan put his name under "groom," Fritz under "bride." ("A very masculine bride," the bearded Fritz joked.)

They paid $5 to waive the three-day period between getting a marriage license and getting married. Now all they needed was a judge willing to sign the waiver form - then marry them.

...

Iowa's would-be first couple of gay marriage walked up the courthouse stairs and found District Judge Scott Rosenberg.

...

[A] minister with the First Unitarian Church of Des Moines agreed to marry them.

...

They raced down Interstate Highway 235, sprinted into the county administration building, ran to the office, received their official marriage certificate, and posed for the cameras.

It was 10:45 a.m.

Less than an hour later, Polk County Judge Robert Hanson suspended his earlier ruling allowing same-sex marriage, pending an appeal to the Iowa Supreme Court. Moments later, the Polk County recorder's office stopped accepting same-sex marriage license applications.


Read the entire story here.

Marriage for same-sex couples is one of those issues I get really passionate about and it confuses people. People ask if I'm gay a lot. (I suspect the shoe shopping and interest in men's fashion has something to do with it.) When they find out that I'm not they assume that I care about marriage for same-sex couple because I have a close friend or family member who is gay. I don't really. That isn't to say I don't have gay and lesbian friends, it just means that I would care about this issue just as much if I didn't know anyone who wasn't straight.

There are only two issues that I am willing to say there is no possible way to convince me that I am wrong. I am 100% convinced that marriage should be between two loving people regardless of sex, and I am 100% convinced that the death penalty is wrong. All other issues I welcome debate and am willing to revise my positions given the right argument.

I was going to post this on PD Stuff but it seems to be down right now. Thankfully Gideon should be back tomorrow to retake the throne.

*I don't refer to it as "gay marriage" or "same-sex marriage" as those terms were beaten out of me during my work with the ACLU. Both terms imply that it is a separate type of marriage for "gay" or "same-sex" couples, whereas the term "marriage for same-sex couples" indicates that it is the same marriage as given to a man and woman just opened up to all.

3 comments:

Woman in Black said...

My late boss (who fell off a mountain one year ago...possibly today) did not know the difference between "metrosexual" and "homosexual." I had to explain it to him.

There is nothing unmanly about good personal hygiene and an interest in shoes.

PDgirl said...

I second WIB statements about good hygeine and shoes.

And I completely agree with you...I'll never believe that I'm wrong that two people who want to get married should be able to. Hear, hear!

Fannie Wolfe said...

"I'll never believe that I'm wrong that two people who want to get married should be able to"


Thanks :-)

Funny that people assume you are gay for thinking that, though.

Powered by WebRing.