Friday, November 30, 2007

Why isn't the summer here yet?

Getting the internship offer may have been a bad thing for my GPA. I already barely give half a shit about law school. Most of my classes are not relevant to either my interests or my future job prospects. I learned after first semester that my exam grade has nothing to do with my actual understanding of the material but everything to do with identifying issues and regurgitating rules. If I didn't have a study group I don't think I would have done anything for my finals yet. I study only because my group expects things from me.

I'm happy I managed to land a PD internship. Gives this blog a continuing source of legitimacy.

So far this is what I know about my internship. I will be assigned to a specific court room with an attorney supervisor. I will most likely be assigned to the misdemeanor court room. They will try and give me a case that will go to trial.

I WILL GET TO TRY MY OWN CASE.

I realize for most of my readers that is fairly common experience. For me it is the most terrifying prospect on earth, and yet I am dying to experience it. I know I will be absolutely terrified in court. I also know that I will get such an adrenaline rush that will remind me of my reason for living. When I did mock trial as an undergrad each trial was better than any drug (not that I have any real drug use experience, but its better than pain killers, marijuana and alcohol). I imagine a real trial will be ten times better than mock trial.

I found out that I don't actually compete in moor court again until Spring of 2009. This hopefully means that my last semester I will get to do Trial Advocacy, Moot Court Nationals, a Clinic and one other class. That sounds like a good way to end.

3 comments:

Jen said...

"For me it is the most terrifying prospect on earth, and yet I am dying to experience it."

Sounds like how I used to be. Do I want to have a trial? YES YES. But do I really want to go to trial? Uhm, no.. scares me.

moi said...

Congratulations on the internship! You'll do an awesome job; don't worry about it.

Once I started the criminal clinics at law school, I paid little to no attention to my other classes. I loved it and immersed myself in it.

PDgirl said...

Hurray!

Powered by WebRing.