Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A victory (kind of)

I worked on 6 different cases over the summer. Today the court issued an opinion on one of those cases. On the substantive issues the court was pretty much ass wrong. The real attorney is moving for reconsideration.

One of the issues was the Prosecutor failed to follow a mandatory rule. My contribution to the brief was a section where I asked the court to direct the Prosecutor to show cause as to why sanctions should not be imposed for their failure to comply with the rule. Of all the arguments made in the brief this was the only one the court bought. The court said:


[W]e refer this matter to the court's commissioner with instructions that the [ ] County Prosecutor be directed to show cause why sanctions should not be imposed for failure to timely comply with [the mandatory rule].

It isn't as though the Prosecutor was just a couple days late or anything. When I wrote the brief the Prosecutor was 14 months late.

Now I feel like the work I did over the summer wasn't just worthless busy work. I actually did something kind of useful. Sure I didn't actually help a defendant, but sanctioning a prosecutor is still pretty good, right?

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.