Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Getting a PD internship shouldn't be this difficult

Both of my roommates have job offers now. Most of the people I know have job offers now. I haven't heard anything. I can't even get the offices I applied to to answer the phone. I'm finally having a minor freak out about my lack of job prospects for next summer.

I think I need to expand my geographical limitations and just accept the fact that I'm going to have to find a crappy apartment somewhere for the summer. Living at home for free would be nice, but not living with my parents again would also be nice.

I think my cover letter is solid. Both the career services people and one of the attorneys I worked with over the summer took a look at it. My resume is chock full of activities that show my interest in helping the less fortunate in our legal system. According to career services I should have my GPA on my resume. I don't put my GPA on it because I was told by one of the attorneys I worked with that it isn't needed. Either way my GPA is better than bad but less than awesome. My writing samples are both on both came from briefs I wrote over the summer.

I called the offices to inquire as to whether that had received my application and ask when I should expect to hear back and got voicemail.

I think I must be doing something wrong. Anyone have any suggestions or see anything that I've mentioned that just seems wrong?

3 comments:

PDgirl said...

GPA on a resume is only for those people who want to work at the TOP corporate law firm in the area, because they want to be surrounded by yuppie douchebags and work 80 hours a week, so they have to show how smart they are. You know, because they lack social skills and personality--they are "smart." I leave mine off because it's right in the middle of my class rank--not even in the top 50% (although I did eek into the top 58% or so) and it's completely irrelevant what my property grade from first year was or my contracts grade was. Those aren't going to help any potential employer figure out whether I understand criminal law/procedure, how to talk to a client, how to address a judge in court, what a speedy Rule 8 is, and so on. If all they want is a GPA, then they are a yuppie douchebag firm and I'm gonna pass.

I think it's just the public interest area that is a little slow on the draw about the job offers. I mean, I know people who are lined up already for next summer when we graduate. Meanwhile, my office doesn't even have the funding until January, so they don't even know if there ARE positions available. I think the fact that public interest relies on government money and government money gets doled out at specific times when the legislature is dealing with money is the problem--we can't know if we've got jobs till the money is there and that's much later than we'd like. I am panicking about getting a job next summer after graduation, but I've just gotta wait... It's our career area...

public defender said...

Most PD offices aren't interested in an applicant until they have a license. Unlike those other jobs, they will need you in the courtroom right away. At my office, we don't really take interns, either.

It took me about a year after I got my license to land a job with the PD.

Anonymous said...

Any luck yet? If not keep plugging! (14 interns in my courtroom would not be enough.)

Powered by WebRing.