Friday, May 30, 2008

God I love this job

And so far I'm good at it. Got a lot more free reign today. Was pretrial day so I was explaining a lot of plea paperwork to clients. The attorneys pretty much just threw the files at me and I found the clients and explained the offer. To get around my not being an attorney I introduce myself by saying "Hi I'm Petition and I work with Supervisor at the PD Office." That way they just assume I'm an attorney.

Dealt with one client today who when the attorney was talking to him he just kept crying. When I talked to him he was calm, collected and very polite. He asked me if I was his new lawyer now. After I explained that I was not he wished me good luck with my final year of law school. He cried when the judge got to sentencing. No jail time though so I guess his blubbering worked.

I'm astounded by the number of people who don't show up for their court dates, and the number of people who can show up to a 8:30 court calender reeking of booze.

Two clients shook my hand and thanked me after they were sentenced today. That was pretty cool. Starting next week I get to appear in court. I have a pretrial case for next Friday I intend to confirm for trial.

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.