Friday, July 25, 2008

Trying not to think about it or my head may explode

I now owe the federal government the equivalent of one years starting salary at the PD office I want to work at. In some ways this terrifies me because that's a lot of money and with that salary it will take me a long time to pay it off. On the other hand it reassures me because PD salaries aren't that high, so my loans can't be all that bad as compared to other people. I have friends who owe one years salary at a firm job, so I'm doing all right.

I put in my two weeks notice today. Not because I want to leave, but because I have to. Really hoping I can avoid crying this time. I love the job a lot more than last years internship, but I haven't really bonded as much with the other interns. Part of that is because I have an office to myself and I'm not stuck in the same room as another intern for 8 hours a day. The other part is that the interns just aren't as cool as Senior Intern from last year. She's currently studying to pass the California bar and then will start work at a PD office near the Bay area.

2 comments:

PDgirl said...

Shhh, it'll be ok--the feds passed that public service loan forgiveness bill, so if you put in ten years as a PD or prosecutor or working legal aid or some other public interest area, all your federal student loans are forgiven. That's what I'm banking on.

1111 said...

I'm hoping to prove myself and get picked up by a small boutique defense firm (if that is possible). I don't know if I can wait 10yrs for forgiveness but it's nice to know it's out there.

I'll be somewhere around 35-36k debt before 1L, so you seem to be doing fine.

If you have any free time, come over to ratemycop.com. As a mod, I can't get into most conversations and I hate to see horrible arguments by police go unanswered.

Powered by WebRing.