Sunday, June 28, 2009

Self study is turning me into a hermit

I'm in a kind of weird situation. I'm studying for the bar exam at home while all my friends are taking a class to study for it. I can't take the class because I'm taking a different state's bar exam. Why not go back to my state to take the bar exam you ask? Good question. You see I couldn't find a job in my preferred state and managed to find a job in the state of my law school. By that point though it was far too late to change bar exams and I still don't want to practice in this state for long. Fortunately this state has a special rule allowing me to practice for a short period of time as long as I've passed any bar exam. So I'm studying for Awesome State's bar exam so I can practice in Sucky State for a little while.

Because of this I'm by myself most of the time. As a result my sleep schedule is a nightmare. It is currently 6 in the morning and I have not yet gone to bed. At this point I will probably stay awake as long as possible and then take a short nap and try and get back on a more normal schedule. It isn't like it matters though I don't need to leave the house. On Wednesday and Thursday I went 36 hours without even going outside. Today I will leave the house because I need groceries.

I haven't noticed any advantage to my studies on subjects I took in law school (except evidence, but I learned that from mock trial and practicing). I'm happy about this since I chose my law school classes based on professors first and subject matter second. I took every single criminal law class offered at my school (not that big of an accomplishment sadly) and nearly a full semester of practical classes (15 credits a semester, total I did 7 credits of trial ad, and 7 credits of clinic).

1 comment:

PDgirl said...

I have a giant set of bar exam flashcards if you want them. I can totally mail them to you. I used them extensively while studying, because that's how I learn best. Self-study is super hard to stay motivated (studying for the bar after Barbri classes ended was soooo hard because I never wanted to do it) which is why I made the flashcards--then I could just flip through them while watching TV or something lazy like that. Let me know if you want them and we can make arrangements.

Powered by WebRing.